Are there any warning signs to look out for?
Yes, there are several warning signs of sleep apnea that may include:
- Morning headaches
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Silent pauses in breathing during sleep
- Choking, snorting and gasping for breath during sleep
- Feeling depressed, and/or becoming easily irritated at simple things during the day
- Memory or learning problems
- Not being able to concentrate on your work
- Mood swings or personality changes; perhaps feeling depressed
- Waking up with gummy teeth, dry mouth or dry throat
- Having high blood pressure.
- A decreased size of the airways in your nose, throat, or mouth.
- Having a family history of sleep apnea
- Being overweight
- Waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom
- Having physical attributes of sleep apnea
I personally had many of the above warning signs but because I didn’t have the knowledge I wasn’t able to put the pieces together to know that I had sleep apnea.
These warning signs need to be taken seriously because the dangers of not treating sleep apnea can be heart disease, stroke, car accidents, and even death. So if you experience some of these warning signs then you owe it to yourself to see your physician and get tested so that they will be able to officially diagnose whether or not you have sleep apnea. If you want to do more reading here is an interesting article about sleep apnea.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post about other warning signs of sleep apnea and I urge you to continue educating yourself about sleep apnea. Click here to read our blog post about the physical signs of sleep apnea.
You can save people’s lives and be a hero. All you need to do is learn about sleep apnea and then educate others then you will help save lives and make the world a better place!